Today we shall discuss some interesting facts about human tongue and our sense of taste. To know more keep reading CRB Tech Reviews
Know about the various tasks our tongue is responsible for, different parts of the human tongue, how many taste buds are there, how animals use their tongues in ways different from humans, and lots more.
- The tongue is a muscular organ attached to the floor of the mouth.
- The tongue is the main sensory organ of the taste sense. The upper surface is covered with taste buds which has taste receptors.
- The human tongue has on average 3,000 – 10,000 taste buds.
- The bumps on the tongue are called papillae. Taste buds are located on top of these papillae but are not visible to the human eye.
- There are five elements of taste perception: sour, salty, bitter, sweet, and umami (savoury).
- It is a myth that different tastes are from different areas of the tongue, these tastes can all be detected everywhere on the tongue.
- Humans use tongue for speech where it helps with changes in sound.
- The tongue works as a natural way of cleaning teeth after eating.
- Do you know, on an average women have shorter tongues than men?
- The human tongue is divided into two parts: the anterior and the posterior.
- The anterior part of the tongue is the visible part and is about two-thirds of the tongue’s length.
- The posterior tongue area is nearer the throat, and about one-third of length.
- There are 8 muscles in the human tongue. They are classified as intrinsic or extrinsic.
- There are 4 intrinsic muscles which are not attached to bone, they are the muscles which allow tongue to change shapes.
- There are 4 extrinsic muscles which are attached to bone, they helps the tongue to change position and give movements.
- The average length of the human tongue is approximaltely 10 cm.
- The blue whale has the largest tongue among all animals. Its tongue weigh’s around 2.7 metric tons.
- Taste receptors cannot taste food until saliva has moistened it, for instance we usually taste salty things first as salt dissolves quickly in moisture.
- Some traditional dishes include tongue of various animals. Mexicans have a taco filled beef tongue dish, pig and cow tongue is popular in Chinese cuisine. Lamb, cod, and duck tongue are also popular in some countries.
- Sticking your tongue out at people is seen as childish or rude in several countries, but, in Tibet it is considered as a form of greeting.
Hope you liked the facts.
Stay connected with CRB Tech Solutions to know more about health and wellness.